NOTE: All application materials must be submitted online. See our admissions page for application steps.
MY STORY SO FAR - PERSONAL STATEMENT PROMPTS
In an uploaded document, please address the following. Feel free to make the presentation as creative as you’d like:
- Tell us briefly what piqued your interest in doing creative work on behalf of brands? (300 words or less)
- Tell us briefly where you are from and when you knew you needed to come to the Brandcenter (200 words or less)
- What single attribute of yours will help you most at the Brandcenter? (100 words or less)
- Brandcenter has 8 Guiding Principles (see below). Pick one attribute and explain how it applies to you. (300 words or less)
- NONCONFORMITY. The Brandcenter is filled with the spirit of innovators, pioneers, and benevolent rebels who innately do things in new, surprising, original, and unorthodox ways. We’ll always be “a little bit rogue.”
- POSSIBILITY. We create it. We harness it. We believe a sense of possibility is a force multiplier.
- CREATIVITY. We use creativity as our primary operating strategy. We look at each challenge as a chance to create something new.
- GRIT. We work an extra hour, write another draft, consult another resource. We see preparation as an act of respect–to the work and to each other.
- COURAGE. We know that the easy answer isn’t always the right answer; we make hard choices and consider difficult challenges, and we know sometimes we have to make courageous choices.
- COLLABORATION. We know that one of us is never as good as more of us; we seek each other’s gifts, we contribute our own, and we’re open to true collaboration to create more powerful outcomes.
- HUMILITY. No matter how much we believe in our ideas, no matter how prepared we are, no matter how proud we are of our work, we know that we can always do better.
- PURPOSE. We’re driven by purpose. We don’t just create ideas – we’re driven to understand the underlying challenges and find elegant solutions to complex problems.
Applicants may only apply to one of our five programs of study. Applicants must complete ALL of the prompts for their chosen area, and will complete the questions via an online application portal.
- Provide an example of either a) a visual artist you admire and why, or b) a favorite character from film or television that you admire and why. (250 words or less)
- Choose a produced campaign you like. Explain in 1-2 sentences what the big idea (concept) is that the campaign is trying to convey. Now, go a step further and share 3 different media examples from that same campaign (i.e. social, video, physical experiences, stunts, events, 2d, direct mail, etc.) and explain how the execution communicates or enhances the original concept.
- Show 5 examples of your original work. Include the details of each concept and how your final execution came to be the one that best conveys your desired outcome. You can submit ads, art, video, anything that best highlights your conceptual abilities and skill set. (provide a link or upload a PDF & provide a 250 word max description of each)
- Create a visually-driven campaign for one of the following brands. For the campaign, create pieces of communication in three different mediums that visually communicate the desired message of that product or brand. Please provide a succinctly written concept statement and explanation that shares the thinking behind each piece you have created (250 words or less). Choose from one of the four brands below (you may provide a link or upload a document for each):
- Magic Eraser: Creatively communicate how Magic Eraser can erase any unwanted stain. Create three distinct executions.
- Kiehl's Anti-Aging Cream: Creatively communicate how Kiehl's helps fight aging. Create three distinct executions.
- The End Hot Sauce: Creatively communicate that this hot sauce might be the last hot sauce you ever try.
- Scott’s EZ Seed: Creatively communicate that Scott's EZ Seed can grow grass anywhere.
- Create a TikTok Video (:60 or less) that tells us something about you. (provide link to video)
- Link to your portfolio
- Provide an example of either a) writer that you admire and why or B) a favorite character from film or television that you admire and why. (250 words or less)
- Choose a produced campaign you like. Explain in 1-2 sentences what the big idea (concept) is that the campaign is trying to convey. Now, go a step further and share 3 different media examples from that same campaign (i.e. social, video, physical experiences, stunts, events, 2d, direct mail, etc.) and explain how the execution of each example communicates or enhances the original concept. (250 words or less for each)
- Choose from one of the following three brand voice’s on twitter: Netflix (see sample tweets), Denny’s (see sample tweets), or Tampax (see sample tweets). Write five additional and distinct social posts in the voice of the brand you chose.
- Show 3-5 examples of your original work. Include the details of each concept and how your final execution came to be the one that best conveys your desired outcome. You can submit ads, art, video, social posts, etc.- anything that best highlights your conceptual abilities, skill set, and creativity. (provide a link or upload a PDF & provide a 250 word max description of each)
Write 3-5 possible captions for the cartoon below.
- It's important for copywriters to also recognize the power of a great visual. Provide a visual that tells a story better than words can, and explain why you chose it. (200 words or less)
- In 500 words or less, make the case for your preference in any of the following pop culture debates. Make it compelling and entertaining, and tell us how this preference tells us something about you.
- Coke vs. Pepsi
- Should Hermione have ended up with Harry?
- Best rapper of all time
- Disney classics vs. Pixar
- Jacob vs. Edward
- Katy Perry vs. Taylor Swift
- Seinfeld vs. Friends
- Which Housewives franchise is the best?
- The Wire, The Sopranos, Breaking Bad: best of all time?
- Lebron, MJ, or Kobe: best of all time?
- Could Jack have fit on the door with Rose in Titanic?
- Twizzlers vs. Red Vines
- Best Marvel Chris: Hemsworth, Evans, or Pratt?
- Star Wars vs. Star Trek vs. Marvel
- Better Voice: Adele or Beyonce
- Link to your portfolio.
- Are you a design "thinker," "maker," "creative disruptor," or some combination of all three? Maybe there is a better word or words to describe you? Tell us how you think, what you like to make, what inspires you to create, and how you approach creative problem solving. (upload your PDF or Word doc response in 250 words or less)
- Where do you look for design inspiration? Is there a recent design example that you find inspiring? Show us what it is and tell us why you find it inspiring. (upload your PDF or Word doc response in 250 words or less)
- Share something that you made and that you are proud of. Show us what it is and tell us what makes you proud. (upload your PDF or Word doc response in 250 words or less)
- In 5 presentation slides (upload in pdf form), solve one of the following design prompts. In your response, come up with a concept for innovation to help an existing business maintain a competitive advantage. Include background information such as trends impacting the future of the area, challenges and opportunities faced, and the brief rationale for why you think your idea will work. Include the name of the business, the name of the concept, and 3 key features and benefits of the solution you are recommending. (upload a pdf of your slides).
Small Business Retail Innovation: There is a need for small businesses, as they create a rise in local economies, serve local communities, and they help drive innovation. How might a small business maintain a competitive advantage against global online commerce platforms, such as Amazon?
Live Event Innovation: In the past year or so, virtual events have seen a massive increase in popularity, and seem to be here to stay. However, they cannot perfectly replicate the experience of live events that allow for high social engagement and multi-sensory immersion, among other things. How might live entertainment events maintain a competitive advantage against online entertainment?
- In your own words, how do you define experience design? Why is it important to you, personally, and for the world, more generally? (upload your PDF or Word doc response in 250 words or less)
- Link to your portfolio (optional)
- Recently, P&G introduced 9 Elements, a vinegar-based household cleaning line. Do you think that move is disingenuous from a company that also sells Tide and Swiffer? Please provide your answers in no more than two smart, crisply written paragraphs.
- A friend of yours is opening a bakery and has asked you to draw up a marketing plan that would make the bakery famous. What would you do? Please provide your answers in no more than two smart, crisply written paragraphs.
- Imagine that Home Depot has announced the launch of "Home Office" – affordable fixtures and furniture for a modern home office. Imagine what this line might look like and share some mood boards of the product line or how it might look in the store. In addition, does this idea make sense for Home Depot, or would you recommend they don't pursue it? You may upload a document and/or provide a link to your mood board. Please provide your answers in no more than two smart, crisply written paragraphs.
- Chipotle. Sweetgreen. Cava. You make the call: which one would you invest in? Which one do you choose to eat at? Which one do you shut down? Please provide the rationale for your decision. Please provide your answers in no more than two smart, crisply written paragraphs.
- You are the brand manager for Mattel's Magic 8-Ball, and a big budget Magic 8-Ball movie has been approved for production. How would you ensure the movie helps the brand become successful again? Please provide your answers in no more than two smart, crisply written paragraphs.
- You are the Account Executive at "OHGA Advertising" (One Helluva Great Agency). Your team is pitching to win the French's Mustard account. Your team doesn't seem motivated. How do you get them excited about this opportunity? Please provide your answers in no more than two smart, crisply written paragraphs.
- You've been assigned to work on a vacuum cleaner brand. What would you do to get smart/learn about vacuum cleaners, how people select a vacuum cleaner, etc.? Please provide your answers in no more than two smart, crisply written paragraphs.
- What character from a novel would have the best TikTok account? What would it be like and why would it be good?
- Is Ted Lasso just a great show or is it a good show at the right time? Explain your reason. Please provide your answers in no more than two smart, crisply written paragraphs
- A persona is a visual way to represent a person who might be a fan of a brand/product, or might be a great prospect for a brand/product. It can include their job, hobbies, lifestyle, where they get information, or other brands they respond to. Tell us your favorite brand and show us your persona board. You may upload a document or provide a link.
- You have been hired to work on advertising for Tesla, and are allowed to ask Elon Musk no more than 20 questions. What would you ask?
- In the world today, "actions" can mean more for a brand than advertising. Tell us about a brand you know that took action or stands for something – and whether you think they did it the "right way" or the "wrong way." Please select a current example (not over 2 years old). Please provide your answers in no more than two smart, crisply written paragraphs